My interview On Dawanda Blog


Happy Monday everyone,
In today’s interview with a DaWanda seller we have the pleasure of meeting the lovely Pinar, the designer and creator of Toosis Jewellery. Pinar’s stunning collection features statement pieces of all kinds, from rings to necklaces, in silver and gold, with precious and semi-precious stones often providing a dramatic focal point. Her jewellery can be dressed up or down, but provides a sense of elegance and understated glamour no matter what you pair it with.
Check out the fabulous Toosis shop and have a read of our fascinating interview with Pinar below:
Please tell us a bit about yourself:
My name is Pinar Sondal. I am an architect and a jewelry designer living in Istanbul, one of the most beautiful, exotic and cosmopolitan cities to live in.
How did you discover that you have creative tendencies?
Well, since my early childhood days I knew I was going to do something related with the Arts. I played the violin as a child dreaming to be a performer, but unfortunately lost my interest among the way. I also loved drawing and loved to make collage pieces which I think influenced me to be an architect. I define myself as an architect who lost her way in design and ended up being a jewelry designer.
Where do you find your inspiration?
My muse is the city I live in. Istanbul is a city of two continents; Asia and Europe divided by the water way of Bosphorus. Its shores offer a delightful mixture of past and present, grand splendor and simple beauty. Modern hotels stand next to shorefront wooden villas, marble palaces, rustic stone fortresses and neighboring small fishing villages. I live in the European side of the city. The Asian part is just across the Bosphorus Bridge. I use silver and gold in my designs. The precious stones that I use also inspire me. It is great fun to go shopping for stones…
How did you come up with the ideas for the products in your DaWanda shop?
Dawanda is a very unique web site gathering all those creative minds under one roof. I am so glad and honored to be a part of Dawanda. I realized that European women love silver. I mostly love to coat my jewelry with gold but I specially leave some of my designs as they are in silver for my Dawanda customers.
Which materials do you use to create your products?
In my designs I use precious stones, silver and gold with several techniques like metalsmithing. Amethyst, jade, onyx, tourmaline, ruby, labrodorite, turquoise and pearls are some of my favorites. I also like experimenting with new materials…
Please give us a brief summary of your creative process?
Oh there is so much to be done. You need to focus and have a timeline or a project could end up being a never ending story… First things first I choose the stones that I am going to use and sketch my design’s look. Than on my working bench I start processing the metal parts that I am going to use with all my metalsmithing tools. There are some chemical components that I use so it is important to own a childfree place with proper air circulation. I am very fortunate to have my working branch in my office and not my house since I have small kids.
What characterises your products/your style?
I think my designs have a character of their own. I love creating big pieces. Designs that make a statement, can turns heads and be seen… I can say they are modern and unique, yet a little bit urban with a vintage style.
Who are your customers?
All women, and also men willing to show their love to the special ladies in their lives.
What do you want to achieve in the future as a Designer/Creative?
I would love to open a shop with a window where I can display my designs like in an art gallery.
What role does DaWanda play in your daily creative life?
First thing in the morning after my children leave for their school. I go online and check if I’ve got mail from my customers from Dawanda. If there is an order, I even do a special happy dance. That gives me the energy I need to go and create more…
How has your life changed since you opened your DaWanda shop?
Since I discovered DaWanda and started sharing my taste in design with European countries, I feel blessed. A performer needs to hear the applause to feel appreciated. Now I get my the inspiration I need from my customers’ Dawanda feedback.

Comments

Popular Posts