Skip to main content

My interview on Nakedwithout

Toosis, her love for jewelry and Istanbul

08/12/2014

Hello Pinar! Can you tell us about yourself?toosis1
I am an architect and a jewelry designer living in Istanbul, 
one of the most beautiful, exotic and cosmopolitan cities to live in.
When did you start your label?Well, since my early childhood days I knew I was going to do 
something related with the Arts. I played the violin as a child dreaming to be a performer, but unfortunately lost my interest among the way. 
I also loved drawing and loved to make collage pieces which I think influenced me to be an architect. I define myself as an architect 
who lost her way in design and ended up being a jewelry designer.

toosis2 toosis4
What’s the story behind your brand name?My sister Mine Dogan is also an architect like me and 
also an industrial designer. The Name Toosis is a 
combined name we made up with my sister years ago. 
Which we wanted it to resemble two sisters.

What inspires your designs?My muse is the city I live in. Istanbul is a city of two continents; 
Asia and Europe divided by the water way of Bosphorus. 
Its shores offer a delightful mixture of past and present,
toosis5 toosis6
grand splendor and simple beauty. Modern hotels stand next to shorefront wooden villas, marble palaces, rustic stone fortresses and neighboring small fishing villages. I live in the European 
side of the city. The Asian part is just across the Bosphorus 
Bridge. I use silver and gold in my designs. The precious 
stones that I use also inspire me. It is great fun to go shopping for stones…


Walk us through your creative process.
In my designs I use precious stones, silver and gold with several metalsmithing techniques. Oh there is so much to be done. You need to focus and have a timeline or a project could end up being a never ending story… First things first I choose the stones that I am going to use and sketch my design’s look. Than on my working bench I start processing the metal parts that I am going to use with all my metalsmithing tools. There are some chemical components that I use so it is important to own a place with proper air circulation. 
 

For whom do you design?
toosis7
I think my designs have a character of their own. I love creating big pieces. Designs that make a statement and can turn heads and be seen… I can say they are modern and unique, yet a little bit urban 
with a vintage style.

 
Do you have any favorite Toosis pieces?I love to wear my turquoise designs in Summer and I prefer 
smoky quarts and labrodorite pieces in the winter.


Can you share some of your favorite spots in Istanbul?
toosis8 toosis9 
I also like to see the Bosphorous view in Ä°stanbul which 
could be seen from many parts of the city. “Arnavutkoy” a neighborhood I live near by the sea in Istanbul inspires me 
with its pretty old wooden houses painted in different colors. 
You can find nice restaurants to relax with peaceful terraces 
to enjoy the pleasure of the bosphorous sea and 
green surroundings.
I love to get a bird's-eye view from the balcony at the top of 
the Galata Tower in BeyoÄŸlu (Built in 1348), where you can 
see the parts of the old Istanbul. There are beautiful shops 
and designer workshops that you can discover around this area. 
.

Comments

Popular Posts